Bonsignore: For now, anyway, Aaron Donald is back in the Rams’ fold

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE

THOUSAND OAKS – Aaron Donald emerged from the Rams weight room at their Thousand Oaks training facility on Wednesday, flashed a bit of a grin to some nearby observers, then made his way to the nearby practice field.

And just like that, Donald was back, present and accounted for with the Rams. He’ll presumably play Sunday against Washington at the Coliseum, although the certainty of that – and how much he actually plays – rests in how his body responds to the first full week of practice since December.

“I worked out a lot. I’m in great shape,” he said. “But it’s a different from running around out there then from being on the football field. Just going to take it day by day here and just seeing how I feel as the week goes on.”

For now, anyway, the long contract holdout that cost Donald most of OTAs, all of training camp, all four preseason games and, to be technical, the season opener against the Colts, is behind him.

We stress for now, anyway, because Donald’s triumphant return didn’t include the new, lucrative contract he hoped the holdout would eventually produce. And the longer that stays the case, the greater the chance we go through all this again at some point.

The fear of losing paychecks likely won’t mean another holdout happening during the regular season. But who knows what his position will be come next offseason as he approaches the final year of a contract he has thoroughly outplayed.

All of which was much too far into the future for Donald even ot consider, let alone discuss, on his first day back at practice.

“I’m just thinking about now,” he said. “I’m here now.”

What “here” really means remains to be seen, of course. Let’s be frank, Donald didn’t return because of his undying love for football or his teammates – of which he admittedly has an abundance.

Read Complete Article
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/13...the-rams-fold/