Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analyzing the Kicker Situation with my Brain...

Analyzing the Kicker Situation with my Brain...

Marty is concerned that Gano was erratic last year. I think he got some nibbles, but lost the negotiation (probably with the Raiders) when they went with an unproven kicker who went 4 for 4 with 2 kicks around 50 yards or more. That deal is done.

Now that Gano looked good, we will probably stay with him this year. They would probably like to watch him for another game or so, because their options are limited. They are:

1. Waive Butker.
    What if Gano starts Ganoing again? Bad situation. Is the roster spot worth the insurance Butker provides?
    2. Put Butker on the PS. Probably akin to waiving Butker, as he is likely to be picked up as soon as some K misses a chip shot or extra point. On top of that, we have to cut someone from the PS.
    3. Put Butker on IR. The probable move, but if Gano blows up, Butker would not be immediately available. Still, this is what I would do.

The reason I would send Butker to IR? Gano is on the final year of a contract that pays him $4m. Going with Butker drops the salary for K $3.5m. Considering Star's salary this year is about $6m, the savings + Star's contract amount for 2017 would be enough to re-sign Star.

Dickson's contract ends in 2017, and he is paid $2.7m. If we draft a TE and let him walk, that should help. Considering there will be an increase in salary cap in 2018, I think signing Norwell will also get done.

I realize that there other variables, but we have some non-core or replaceable salaries that can make it possible for us to lock up KK, Star, and Norwell in the span of a year.

But we do not need the $$ cutting Gano would save this season, so it makes sense to stay with him and IR Butker to protect him as the K of the future.

Make sense?

In addition, I think Adams is a 1-year rental and I think we will draft S and TE early.
    Last edited by catamount; 09-11-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    Nolledge is Pouer.

Makes sense except Butker isn't hurt... how do we place him on IR without some sort of injury?

remsponge
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan4GS View Post
    Makes sense except Butker isn't hurt... how do we place him on IR without some sort of injury?
    Re-sign Steve Smith, tell Butker that Smith likes being insulted, Butker makes IR with a broken orbital bone.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    Re-sign Steve Smith, tell Butker that Smith likes being insulted, Butker makes IR with a broken orbital bone.
    Haha! Love it!

Make him limp== pulled groin.

Run Oklahoma drills with him vs. KK.

I am pretty sure uninjured players find IR routinely, but obviously can't prove that.
    Last edited by catamount; 09-13-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    Nolledge is Pouer.

remsponge
    Butker was waived today to make room for CB LaDarius Gunter, signed off waivers from Green Bay where he was a backup for two years.
    Assumedly the Panthers hope Butker will clear waivers so they can put him on the PS.
    I could definitely see Oakland claiming him off waivers, though, which would amount to a wasted draft pick and another year of Gano.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Butker was waived today to make room for CB LaDarius Gunter, signed off waivers from Green Bay where he was a backup for two years.
    Assumedly the Panthers hope Butker will clear waivers so they can put him on the PS.
    I could definitely see Oakland claiming him off waivers, though, which would amount to a wasted draft pick and another year of Gano.
    I hope he clears waivers too. Oakland's kicker had a great opening day, so who knows. Fingers crossed.
    Nolledge is Pouer.

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    Hurney's really not great about the back 20% of the roster. I don't get the feeling he learned much from before there. Just risking the back part of the draft to pickup guys who are interchangeable.
    Last edited by magnus; 09-14-2017 at 11:24 PM.

remsponge
    Butker was signed off our practice squad today by the Chiefs.

Butker was signed off our practice squad today by the Chiefs.
    Now watch Gano promptly start hooking field goal attempts :-(
    When you draft a kicker you keep him and let go the incumbent. Otherwise it is a wasted draft pick that could have been used for some depth somewhere.

Frankly, this season has started off on the wrong foot on many counts. Not fun to watch.
    Last edited by Prashanth; 09-27-2017 at 05:34 AM.