Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has it ever been worse?

Has it ever been worse?

Have we ever had less hope heading into a season?

Hard to argue with 1000-1 odds.

I know we expected this, and steppy cautioned about the SOJs naysayers, but I think it's a fair question.

Is this the worst we've ever been (with the understanding and even blessing that one must get worse before better)?

This team will rival 1976 as the worst in team history. But yes, this is a blessing. Because much like 1976 was a bottoming out that lead to a true rebuild in 1977 whihc lead to our first real contender since the SB years in the 80s, this will hopefully lead to the same. But its all on Mac. The 1977 draft was the best in team history. mac has to make sure the 2018 and 2019 drfats are the same.

So yes...we have no hope for this year and it MAY when all is said and done for 2017 not ever be worse. But it is also the best thing that can happen to a franchise that was been treading water in mediocrity (and worse) for quite a while now.

Team Owner
    Even though they went 9-7 the Al Groh year just felt utterly helpless to me

The year Idzik gave Rex starting CB's Antonio Allen & Darrin Walls with Sanchez at qb, simply brutal

Herm & Bowles feel so tragically similar in incompetence

This year will be a complete disaster if the Jets win more than 2 games and don;'t come away with the #1 pick in the draft

I don't go back as far as the Kotite days so I can't comment on much before Parcells.

Parcells & the first couple Rex years are the only years I was really excited about this franchise
    Last edited by pope; 09-06-2017 at 02:58 PM.

The 1983/84 era when the team moved to NJ was pretty bad from a fan standpoint. Pissing in the sinks and starting fires in the stadium is not a happy time to remember.. ed Koch gave us the finger first, then we moved in with the giants.. horrible.

In the movie "Apollo 13" Gene Kranz responds to a comment from his boss with something like "This will be our finest hour". I won't go that far, but I do believe the plan is correct. Now all that has to happen is for the plan to be executed well.

The spacecraft has exploded now it is on the team to guide it safely back to earth.

I continue to have confidence in Mac & think he has done a very good job this offseason with reshaping the roster. I also think that the toilet did a good job of reshaping his CS, but still question his ability to be a successful HC.

Right now I'm in watch & wait mode. Player development/growth is my focus this year, wins & losses are irrelevant to me.

To that end, I am excited to get the season underway.
    "On to 2017"

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedgreen View Post
    Have we ever had less hope heading into a season?

Hard to argue with 1000-1 odds.

I know we expected this, and steppy cautioned about the SOJs naysayers, but I think it's a fair question.

Is this the worst we've ever been (with the understanding and even blessing that one must get worse before better)?
    Im looking forward to watching the young kids on defense. Though im afraid we will win more games than expected. Its not inconceivable for us to be 3-2 after week 5 going into New England. The Bills, Jags and Browns all stink and our luck we will steal the home opener against Miami.

Adding Kearse and Kerley to the mix only help/hurt

The offense that we fielded Geno Smith's rookie year is arguably worse than the one we will put out this year and that team still won 8 games. The NFL is a tricky business.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMan57 View Post
    Im looking forward to watching the young kids on defense. Though im afraid we will win more games than expected. Its not inconceivable for us to be 3-2 after week 5 going into New England. The Bills, Jags and Browns all stink and our luck we will steal the home opener against Miami.

The offense that we fielded Geno Smith's rookie year is arguably worse than the one we will put out this year and that team still won 8 games. The NFL is a tricky business.
    True, none of this happens in a vacuum. There are other equally horrid teams on the schedule, and poor GMs and HCs.

So let's say the Jets do go 3-2. When do we start rooting for wins and "development" in the culture over draft picks?

One would think that 3-2 puts the #1 overall in serious jeopardy, even if they finish 3-13.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMan57 View Post

Geno's OL was immeasurably better then this one. That may be our "saving grace" That and still not having a speed edge rusher on D and no proof yet that Adams or Maye can cover TEs any better then Pryor and Gilchrist could.

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedgreen View Post
    True, none of this happens in a vacuum. There are other equally horrid teams on the schedule, and poor GMs and HCs.

So let's say the Jets do go 3-2. When do we start rooting for wins and "development" in the culture over draft picks?

One would think that 3-2 puts the #1 overall in serious jeopardy, even if they finish 3-13.
    Just to be accurate for my position, I am not rooting for losses. I expect losses based on talent, experience & the toilet, but I am not rooting for them.

And I won't be surprised with some wins. This weekend, for example, I think will be a very low scoring game for both teams & a Jets defensive TD could win it.
    "On to 2017"

You all know dam well we are going to screw up this tank job, and bellicheck will put the final nail in by sitting ALL his starters week 17