Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1'st play against 49'ers

1'st play against 49'ers

If I was Ron Rivera, I'd practice all week on the first offensive play of the game. It'd be a deep shot to Damiere Byrd for the following reasons:
    1) Cam had surgery and no one knows if he can even throw it long. Every expects us to come out conservative, so go against the grain.
    2) Byrd is the least likely to be targeted on the opening play, giving it an element of surprise (and Curtis Samuel has the ankle injury).
    3) The 49'ers have a new coach/system, so people will be a bit nervous/slower to react on the opening play of opening day.
    4) It could make a statement and set the tone for the season.

Practice it multiple times per day. Make sure Cam has the timing with Byrd to throw the deep ball, then go out there and try to make a statement first play of the game.

I'd add, it should be a flea flicker...

Quote Originally Posted by Wp28- V2.0 View Post
    Touche.

10char

remsponge
    Quote Originally Posted by Wp28- V2.0 View Post
    Why not? Everyone and his uncle is expecting a handoff to J. Stewart to appease the vet before highlighting McCaffrey. Feed their expectation and take advantage of it!
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

I still say, the first play will be a hand-off to J STew

Scion of House Gladney
    I'm with Prashanth. We know what we have in the coach's office. CANNOT think outside the box or even come up with the required level of strategy to do what you suggest. I mean, if he read it here, he might think it over, but in the end he'll fall back on the only thing he knows. :(

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    First play is simple. Three verticals, clear out to Stewart on the arrow route. They'll have prepared for the dumpoff for McCaffrey, but the LBs will see Stewart and only think run.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus View Post
    First play is simple. Three verticals, clear out to Stewart on the arrow route. They'll have prepared for the dumpoff for McCaffrey, but the LBs will see Stewart and only think run.
    I'd be down with that too. Basically I just want something other than a run for Stewart up the middle for a 2 yard gain to start the season. I still have a few days to dream...

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    it'd be interesting to try to find what the first play of the season was, in the Rivera era. Hmm. I might look into it.

So I did a thing - I rarely try to shove my work at people, but I wanted to make sure some people saw it.
    https://absolutepanthers.blogspot.co...ure-thing.html
    Tomorrow I'll have something more about the game ahead of us, but I hope this doesn't suck in the meantime.

On the road? I don't throw deep. i may run play action, but a roll out/high percentage pass to get Cam going.
    Nolledge is Pouer.