Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Jet Center, Mawae or Mangold?

Team Owner
    Mangold and Mawae were different players. Both had their merits. IMO it depends on what you like. Agreed that Mawae was an exceptional athlete and was a huge advantage for us as a pulling center. But Mangold single-handedly BLANKED every 350 lb beast they put over his nose with ease at a time when the best teams were predominantly running 3-4. Nobody called him Mangold Island though.

My preference is always power. Mangold for me.

I didn't understand anything about line play when Fields was playing for us. I can respect the hell out of him, but back then I just watched the ball and slapped my dad high fives when our Jets did anything good. Which was rare as we were usually just arguing about who the Jets should play Todd or Ryan....probably doing this while I was playing super mario on the gameboy or whatever. Who the hell remembers?
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

Gameboy or Atari?

I still have an Atari 2600 in it's original box.
    Ain't nobody better mess with the fine feathered figaro!

Quote Originally Posted by NFLs StepChild View Post
    Mangold and Mawae were different players. Both had their merits. IMO it depends on what you like. Agreed that Mawae was an exceptional athlete and was a huge advantage for us as a pulling center. But Mangold single-handedly BLANKED every 350 lb beast they put over his nose with ease at a time when the best teams were predominantly running 3-4. Nobody called him Mangold Island though.

My preference is always power. Mangold for me.

I didn't understand anything about line play when Fields was playing for us. I can respect the hell out of him, but back then I just watched the ball and slapped my dad high fives when our Jets did anything good. Which was rare as we were usually just arguing about who the Jets should play Todd or Ryan....probably doing this while I was playing super mario on the gameboy or whatever. Who the hell remembers?
    gameboy wasnt around in the todd/ryan years. It was probably calico or atari. Get your shit together :-)

I enjoyed them both as people and players, but I'd give the nod to Mawae for his mobility and athleticism. He wasn't as stout (i.e. squat) at the point of attack as Mangold, but his build made him more versatile. He was incredibly savvy with technique and finding someone to block, esp. at the second level. He also had a bit more "nasty" in him, which goes a long way for a Center.
    Last edited by ibleedgreen; 09-01-2017 at 04:32 PM.

both were great jets, mawea was brought in for fat ted washington, and nick was brought in for fat wilfolk.. both did their jobs well, at probowl levels... kevin went beyond nasty at times to flat out dirty. lol

splitting hairs for sure. I go Mangold, because he was homegrown.