Thread: A possible explanation on why McCown.

A possible explanation on why McCown.

"On to 2017"

Team Owner
    I read that Hackenberg has never eclipsed the 59% completion rate for the year at any level of football

Not in high school, not in college & probably never will as a pro

That's truly staggering, high school? Really?

For someone whose football IQ is supposedly high not being able to read defenses & set protections is not a good sign
    Last edited by pope; 08-29-2017 at 09:35 PM.

it's moot already. he blew it, we are drafting a QB. Because we are drafting a QB very high that guy is THE GUY. By the time we even consider going to a new QB (hopefully after 15 years and many trips deep into the playoffs) hack will be a distant memory. His ONLY chance to stick here in the scenario where we took a QB in the top 3, is if he improves enough to be considered our long term backup. And he has miles to go to get that good.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
    His ONLY chance to stick here in the scenario where we took a QB in the top 3, is if he improves enough to be considered our long term backup. And he has miles to go to get that good.
    or... the new "savior" bombs (or suffers a long enough injury) and in some miraculous, twist of fate, Hackenberg goes in in a backup role and plays great and Tom Brady's our blue chip FQB prospect.

Coach in Training
    it's moot already. he blew it, we are drafting a QB. Because we are drafting a QB very high that guy is THE GUY. By the time we even consider going to a new QB (hopefully after 15 years and many trips deep into the playoffs) hack will be a distant memory. His ONLY chance to stick here in the scenario where we took a QB in the top 3, is if he improves enough to be considered our long term backup. And he has miles to go to get that good.
    Suppose we draft a QB high in the 1-3 overall range, and Petty's the backup. Why wouldn't they keep Hack as the #3 and see how he progresses? He'd be as cheap as a veteran scrub and would still have some possibility (even if you deem it to be small) of having the "light come on" and being valuable trade bait. If you were the Jets, why wouldn't you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by twoink View Post
    Suppose we draft a QB high in the 1-3 overall range, and Petty's the backup. Why wouldn't they keep Hack as the #3 and see how he progresses? He'd be as cheap as a veteran scrub and would still have some possibility (even if you deem it to be small) of having the "light come on" and being valuable trade bait. If you were the Jets, why wouldn't you do that?
    I think you always keep and develop QBs. If nothing else they are good trade bait if they show anything. Plus Petty will be a UFA after 2018 so we may need a viable #2 if/when we use a high pick on a QB next draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    I think you always keep and develop QBs. If nothing else they are good trade bait if they show anything. Plus Petty will be a UFA after 2018 so we may need a viable #2 if/when we use a high pick on a QB next draft.
    yeah, agree with both you and Twoink.

Twoink, I wasn't literally meaning that they would cut Hack. I just meant it's moot from the standpoint that once we draft a top 3 guy, everything is about him. Hack most likely will still be here as the #2 or the #3, but he's not going to sniff regular season PT unless he first off does beat petty or next year's vet backup for #2, and then second, our new FQB gets hurt.

I'm just saying the "development" of Hack immediately takes a MASSIVE back seat to the #1-3 pick in the 2018 draft. If he doesn't break out on SOME level right now, in 2017, he wil be relegated to "barely playing" for the entire duration of his rookie contract.

That's all I meant by it's moot. The fact that he layed an egg in the 2017 PS, has now determined that the Jets will be ALL IN on trying to draft FQB in the next draft and Hack will "develop" off to the side. his odds plummeted to be perfectly honest. Timing and situation is EVERYTHING and he just missed the boat. The Jets sure didn't help him much with that swiss cheese OL and no veteran WRs, but hey, that's the way it goes, I mean, are we arguing what's fair or what's FACTS? When Darnold/Rosen joins the roster next year, Hack's reps, and PS time just plummeted to 3rd string levels and it's mighty hard to break through when you are barely getting reps, and only getting 4th Qtr PS PT vs 3rd and 4th stringers. Remember Brett Ratliff? That will be Hack if we draft Darnolt. And it actually isn't totally out of the question that he would be cut anyway. if they don't have enough confidence in him as a #2 they may feel they need to keep McCown or get another vet backup/mentor for Darnoldt. And then, the #3 is a competition between Hack and Petty and at this point, who's to say either one of those guys is a lock over the other???? One of them likley is gone next year, UNLESS one of them earns the trust of the franchise to be the true #2. Only that opens the door for both these guys to be here next year after a Darnold type joins.
    Last edited by JWilly; 08-30-2017 at 06:14 PM.

JW, my opinion is that if Hack & Petty don't show significant improvement by the end of the season, relative to their talent ceilings, then this coaching staff is out the door. I guess this goes for the other young talented players on the team as well. A coaching staff that can't coach up players should not be trusted with a Top 3 QB, nor a HC that worries more about keeping the ball safe than letting young QBs learn from their mistakes.

Agreed. And I will be surprised if this CS survives the season.

Team Owner
    The GM who hasn't a clue when it comes to selecting qb's should be shown the door along with Chubby Herm

I don't want Mac turning in the card next year, he's shown he's incompetent when it comes to qb's.