Thread: Trai Turner

Trai Turner

Got a contract extension today, I feel pretty confident that this had been near completion with Gettleman, but signing the names, I guess is H20's first offical move as I-GM.

4 years

Panthers gave Trai Turner a 4-year $45M extension, including $20.5M gtd, per source, averaging $11.25 per year. Next a free agent at 28.

Per Schefter tweet

remsponge
    After the guaranteed cash, that pays him about 6 mil per year. For a very good RG who can in a pinch slide out to RT temporarily, it is a generous contract but not necessarily overly generous. I would have hoped to spend less on him, but I can live with the deal. If nothing else, the team should have two good guards for a few more years, Larsen looks promising at OC, and Moton could be a building block at one of the OT spots. Looking at what a good OL has done recently for Dallas and Oakland, I'd say it's worth the investment.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    it's a not-insignificant amount of money, and if it were me, I'd have played he and Norwell a bit harder against each other, just because it's tough to truly know how to pay both guards and have existing, huge contracts for LT and C. And while I've worried about LG and RG being locked for a full year now, I think I've been fine with the idea of Daryl Williams at G for a while - not from a "he can't play T", thing, as much as that he's a really great run blocker, so he should be playing.

I don't have high hopes for Larsen or Gradkowski.

remsponge
    Assuming Moton takes the RT job and Norwell walks in free agency, do you think it workable for Turner to move to LG in 2018 with Williams at RG?
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    tremendous question because I'd say yeah, on the traditional idea that my RG is the stump puller and the LG is the move guy. Trai's athleticism is almost underused because he is handling his stuff playside (don't get me wrong, they all pull to a point, I saw some film with Gradkowski pulling for some reason). Williams' girth would be valuable there, you figure. But then there's this from Ron:
    "In our scheme, your right guard has to be one of your better pass-blocking offensive linemen," head coach Ron Rivera explained. "For the most part, offenses are right-handed, so defenses set their three-technique – their best pass rusher – against your right guard. So he’s the guy that is typically going to have to do a lot of one-on-one blocking, and he’s rarely going to get any double-team help. And because of all that, you need a guy who is adept at pass protection in one-on-one."
    Which doesn't mean Williams couldn't, but it feels important based on that, to keep him there. And Norwell's absence has generally meant not being able to run well.

OK, here is the deal--we will have an inexperienced RT, so RG just got more important. I don't like the contract because RGs are not exactly hard to find, but the Turner is about to enter his prime.

With Hurney, we will probably make Olsen the highest paid TE in America and extend TD 2 years at nearly $6m per. So we can kiss Norwell or Star goodbye. I am not happy about Hurney getting his foot back in the door. Not talking like an interim--thinks he is back.
    Nolledge is Pouer.