Thread: Carrying the Falcons

Head Coach Material

Carrying the Falcons

Well, some of my fellow Falcons fans keep talking 'bout,...19-0? May be these were the ones wanting to bench Matt Ryan in 2015? Or the ones suggesting firing the GM and HC? Yeah, yeah every team has these types and some of them can be brutal 'bout it(iggles fans primarily). These people have fits of knee jerks and weird head motions. Thang is these Falcons fans have been pampered with excellint QB play for the last NINE Years.

<sigh>it gets old repeating one's self but it's required to get the message thru they thick-ass skull and into the dormant organ between they ears. Matty is the reason for the Falcons enjoying winning in almost the last decade. And I suppose it's time to reinforce that point,...again. Thank you Falcoholic,...

Over Matt Ryan`s career (2008-2016) his defenses have averaged the following rankings:

-20th in passer rating allowed
    -23rd in comp% allowed
    -31st in pass yrds allowed
    -32nd in sacks
    -21st in 1st downs allowed
    -27th in yards per carry allowed
    -26th in rushing TDs allowed
    -29th in total yrds allowed

(compiled by the Falcoholic)

Ya add that and the fact in the last 9 years only two of those seasons Matty had a decent O-line(2008/2016), and it's amazing how much this guy has *carried* the Falcons. We're talking passing for over 4,000 yds even in a losing season type stuff.

Matty doesn't care 'bout dressing like a peacock at post game interviews,...he don't care 'bout awards like the MVP and is humble 'bout that award and grateful. Like any tru champion all he wants is a Super Bowl win or three.hahaha

I grew up watching Steve Bartkowski, met the man after he retired,...caught a pass from him hahaha AND hell yeah I caught it! I love Steve but,...Matthew Ryan is the finest QB in franchise history, imagine that,...he holds every franchise record passing, ratings every damped thang boys. In ending I will say this,...as a former WR I appreciate how a ball is delivered to the receiver. Bart's passes were immaculate spirals, so easy to catch(unlike Michael Vick's passes which had so many revolutions from his cannon arm we saw many, many drops). And so is Ryan's passes like Steve's. I cannot ever recall seeing Ryan throw a *duck* like Payton Manning was throwing in his last days in the NFL.

Oh yeah,...I still maintain the QB makes great WRs,...not the other way 'round.

This is for nflfans and the SUPERBIRDS.

Any baird welcome too?

Quote Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post
    ...his defenses have averaged the following rankings:

• 20th in passer rating allowed
    • 23rd in comp% allowed
    • 31st in pass yards allowed
    • 32nd in sacks
    • 21st in 1st downs allowed
    • 27th in yards per carry allowed
    • 26th in rushing TDs allowed
    • 29th in total yrds allowed

This is for nflfans and the SUPERBIRDS.
    Argh those stats suck like the Fins D during Marino's heyday. You remember Olivadotti the little Italian coach? He posted up numbers like those so horrible it made Marino indispensable just to get out of the hole.

Sheet man I thought Falcons had good D.

It's going to change.

The Fan should spend the next time posting stats about the Defenses Ryan faced during his career. Sure that would mean compiling records from every team the Falcons played, but hey it's the off-season. Nothing else to do right?

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    Argh those stats suck like the Fins D during Marino's heyday. You remember Olivadotti the little Italian coach? He posted up numbers like those so horrible it made Marino indispensable just to get out of the hole.

The Fan should spend the next time posting stats about the Defenses Ryan faced during his career. Sure that would mean compiling records from every team the Falcons played, but hey it's the off-season. Nothing else to do right?
    Tried to avoid it but,...I must answer a question.haha like the Guardian of forever perhaps.

You asked 2 questions in fact. Oh yes,...I remember the Marino days well. Incredible arm with touch hahaha at times. He was like John Elway, a guy who could break the WRs' fingers. If anyone has caught a pass from a pro football QB? Honey lemme tell ya, YOU best be ready to catch the ball cause it's a comin' and freaking fast with incredible revolutions. So yes, Marino never had a great D. Now to the other question,...it would be great for someone with the time to chart Matty's opponents in some fashion but right now? Well, let's be patient and see if he can do what Marino never did, win a Super Bowl. Ryan's *window* is shrinking fast. Marino and Matty have something in common,...as rookies they both came real damned close to winning a SB.

Gawsh,...Don Schula was genius. Recall those days well. He allowed Marino to pretty much run the offense, which was wise. Some of his TD passes were just,...incredible. Like said, it takes both sides of the ball to make a champ unless the offense is such a juggernaut the opposing team has to score 40 points to win.

And yeah,...I be a trekkie so to speak.

The larger question of the day back then was whether or not Dan the Man somehow influenced the other team's offense into a similar type of game, which in turn caused the Defense to look bad. They had some tough QB's to face like Jim Kelly too. In the NFC South you gotcha Drew Breeze and Winston Churchill or whomever down in Tampa Bay to say nothing of the Carolina guy, so Atlanta's D has its work cut out for it.

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    The larger question of the day back then was whether or not Dan the Man somehow influenced the other team's offense into a similar type of game, which in turn caused the Defense to look bad. They had some tough QB's to face like Jim Kelly too. In the NFC South you gotcha Drew Breeze and Winston Churchill or whomever down in Tampa Bay to say nothing of the Carolina guy, so Atlanta's D has its work cut out for it.
    Well,...I'll be damned. Someone here knows football. Precisely,...that's what happened last season with the Falcons. They'd go up early forcing the opposing offense to go into pure attack mode. So,...another question please. Would a run oriented offense prevent their defense from being bombarded? That was a stupid question, one we already know the answer. Of course an effective run based offense helps the D. To do that though would require the offense to stay stubborn with the run. Guess it's a matter of scheme and thought. And keep in mind we're in a different era. Joe Gibbs and his running style is just a little outta style these days. Thank you sir Gundy.