Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gettleman out

Scion of House Gladney
    Lord, this team was finally turning the corner to be a perennial contender and they go and ditch the ONE GUY who was making it happen. Sheesh, we need a new owner. Please sell to someone with a clue Richardson!

remsponge
    There is a rumor of hiring Hurney as team president. I could live with that, as long as he isn't the GM. I don't want cap hell again with too much money owed to players on the downside of their careers to quickly recover.

My only real beef with how Gettleman put his teams together was my consistent complaint ever since Jordan Gross left: whether he had the money or not, not enough attention was ever focused on improving the offensive line, which led directly to Newton getting pulverized and the running game being inconsistent at best. When Newton was younger his mobility helped save him, but as the hits added up the weakness of the line in pass protection was exposed more and more. Knowing all that, Gettleman hired only one over-priced, historically mediocre free agent OT, drafted one project OT who hasn't played the left side and might not be ready to start on the right at the beginning of the season, and otherwise sat on what was already getting Newton killed despite having over twenty million in cap space. An extension for Olsen won't matter if the QB can't get him the ball behind a porous line.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    President I'm OK with. That he's probably going to be interim GM scares the hell out of me, and makes it even slightly possible that he could be more permanent.

Denny, I get you. Dave didn't do enough. I'd argue Marty did even less, putting his last real resource for the OL into Jeff Otah in 2008 before Silatolu in '12. That's not enough. But that's arguing shades of gray. Legitimately glad Dave had a DT fetish.

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    about half the people willing to discuss, say "he's not just interim", "if the team wins, he won't ever leave."

The Observer says that except Tom Sorensen, which says Hurney was a bundle of nerves literally the entire time he was GM, and he won't want to re-seek that.

Hard to say.

Do not want him as GM. Accepting it as an inevitability. And I hate that, I don't want to be at odds with who's running this team, I haven't hard-line been against leadership since '04 or so. Life's hard enough.

remsponge
    If Sorensen is right, Hurney may attempt to clear his desk of current stuff (Davis, Olsen, Turner, etc.) and then turn to finding his replacement. I'm holding out hope that Hurney wants the president job and will wash his hands of GM as quickly as he can.

Back in the Siefert days or maybe when Fox was just starting, there was a term bounced around here, something like Prothusiasm but I might have it slightly off, that meant being enthusiastic without any reason to be that way except blind loyalty to a team and the belief that players' and coaches' past poor performance was not a predictor of future sucking. My current Pollyanna version of that is that Hurney will sprinkle fairy dust on himself and either not be the naughty Hurney he used to be or will merrily turn over the keys to the kingdom to someone more worthy.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Something was going on...I think 3 playoff appearances, including a super bowl where we were favored is not good enough around here any longer--forget who his pissed off--winning is pretty important. Hurney is a douche. He really thinks he is the guy--not talking like an interim GM.

Holy Hell. We should have seen this coming--we have been bringing the band back together all offseason--Capt, Pep, Amini, now Hurney. Remembering the glory day. Singular on purpose. Watch DeAngelo Williams get signed. I called it.
    Nolledge is Pouer.

Panthers personnel director Mark Koncz, promoted by Dave Gettleman two months ago, fired by Marty Hurney on Monday. (Person tweet)

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    oh for Christ's sake.

remsponge
    I remember when George W. Bush asked Dick Cheney to vet candidates for the VP job.
    Cheney ensured that he was the best candidate.
    I think interim GM Hurney, assigned to vet candidates for the GM job, is pulling a Cheney.