Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gettleman out

Gettleman out

Wow... Didn't see that coming.

Yea, I find it shocking. I wonder what went down there

Does anyone know anything yet? Even rumors?

http://giovanni-wod.net/panthercenter

"Ticket to the game: $40
    A sack by Sean Gilbert: $2,880,000(last years cap/#sacks)
    A Culpepper sandwich: Priceless" -catatac

"A dollar is a dollar on draft day, Value is determined by the equity of the player three years in." -WP28

Shocked... is the old KC Chief's GM still available? Maybe Richardson preferred him?

Maybe Richardson didn't like G-Man's not signing Davis/Olsen?

Just doesn't make sense...timing or otherwise. He has done a good job.

remsponge
    I see four possibilities, listed in order from least likely to most:
    1 = criminal activity not yet revealed in the media
    2 = immoral activity not yet revealed in the media
    3 = byproduct of an internal power struggle over future ownership of the team
    4 = long simmering behind the scenes disagreement between Gettleman and Richardson over how financially reasonable deals for the team resulted in negative publicity that may have cost the team revenue in other ways and were potentially about to get worse via Olsen and Davis

I suspect #4, a discord between salary cap management and overall team revenue from all income streams.
    If #4 is accurate, the troubling part could be returning to what the last few years of Hurney gave us: so much loyalty to popular veterans that the product on the field suffered.
    There was always a question whether Hurney's overly generous deals to vets in decline were his own misguided idea or the influence of Richardson, but the hiring of Gettleman with the opposite approach to vet contracts seemed to place the prior blame on Hurney.
    Now I wonder.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

remsponge
    I wrote my previous post before seeing Mags' blog.
    Now I have another thought:
    When Beane left for Buffalo, a lot of people said that as somebody playing dirty, while a few defended him as historically an honest guy.
    Now I wonder if the strife behind the scenes between ownership and management made Beane want to head for greener pastures.
    Beane was in position to be Gettleman's replacement.
    Maybe he saw that coming and didn't want to work for Gettleman's boss.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

remsponge
    ESPN lists the following as potential replacements for Gettleman:

Ryan Cowden: The director of player personnel with the Titans, Cowden spent 16 seasons working with the Panthers before going to Tennessee in 2016.

Don Gregory: He recently was promoted to senior executive scout to work on the college and pro side. He was the teamís longtime director of scouting.

Mark Koncz: He was promoted by Gettleman to personnel director this year after assistant general manager Brandon Beane became the general manager at Buffalo. He previously was the longtime pro scouting director.

Trent Kirchner: The Seahawks executive spent eight years with the Panthers as a scout before joining Seattle in 2010 and was a candidate for the general manager job at San Francisco and Indianapolis.

John Dorsey: He was fired in June as the general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs. He was a longtime executive with the Green Bay Packers prior to that.'

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    ESPN lists the following as potential replacements for Gettleman:

Ryan Cowden: The director of player personnel with the Titans, Cowden spent 16 seasons working with the Panthers before going to Tennessee in 2016.

Don Gregory: He recently was promoted to senior executive scout to work on the college and pro side. He was the teamís longtime director of scouting.

Mark Koncz: He was promoted by Gettleman to personnel director this year after assistant general manager Brandon Beane became the general manager at Buffalo. He previously was the longtime pro scouting director.

Trent Kirchner: The Seahawks executive spent eight years with the Panthers as a scout before joining Seattle in 2010 and was a candidate for the general manager job at San Francisco and Indianapolis.

John Dorsey: He was fired in June as the general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs. He was a longtime executive with the Green Bay Packers prior to that.'
    My preference there would be John Dorsey, who has experience and built a proven winner in KC. He's the only "known" quantity while the others are wildcards.

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan4GS View Post
    My preference there would be John Dorsey, who has experience and built a proven winner in KC. He's the only "known" quantity while the others are wildcards.
    same. Granted there's been a little push-back in the "maybe he did deserve it", but who knows what amount of that is coming from the team as damage control. Or, maybe I took it that way because it felt like a power struggle, but then Reid didn't come away with extra power.

Cowden and Kirchner are both intriguing, maybe Kirchner more because he's been gone longer (but for all their homegrown talent while they had McCloughan, I can't say what SEA did after he left as awe-inspiring...which for reference was '14 on)

I saw Koncz get a boost, I don't know how to take that and the pair of upgrades Gregory's gotten. Is "Senior" a step up, or a step away? I'd anticipate that two-headed monster is essentially running the team along with Ron Rivera. Which is suboptimal.

Everyone named by the locals - which is Denny's ESPN list minus Gregory, Dorsey - has ties to Carolina, and Richardson doesn't know much of anyone else's staff. I don't know if I'm dying to dig back through the ever-dwindling rolodex of Ernie Accorsi but I do hope JR doesn't do this all himself, he'll get a hapless yes man.

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    BTW, this totally blows.