Thread: Safety first? Not in Carolina

Safety first? Not in Carolina

In the era of the cap, some positions in some schemes are devalued. Carolina has always seemed to devalue the defensive backfield in hopes that the front 7 would make average look good. That is still the case.

Kurt Coleman was a second teamer when he was picked up. He has proven to be a leader and has had some decent times and some prosperity. He is better at FS, but has had to play SS more than we would like. Who is the backup behind Coleman? The answer at this time would have to be speculative. While you could argue that the S positions are interchangeable, that is not always the case and it depends. RT and LT are interchangeable too, but not completely. So who comes in at FS if Coleman goes down? At the moment, my guess would be L.J. McCray out of tiny Catawba College-- or would it be Mike Adans?

At the SS position, we are loaded with projects. Behind 37-year old Adams, we have hard-hitting Brian Blechen, a PS project for 2 seasons now that has converted from S in college to LB in pros to SS. There is some reason they like him. They also seem to like Dean Marlowe, the undrafted player out of James Madison.

So it will be interesting to see who gets second-team reps in OTAs and camp. I think this league is based on the ability to avoid injury as much as anything else, so I look to see who the next man up will be. You are one play or even practice away from that guy being your starter--especially when your starter is pushing 40.

The CB and front 7 have me less concerned, but I think we are still working on FS depth. Stay tuned....
    Nolledge is Pouer.

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    might not have five studs but I feel so much better than I did midyear last year. Coleman will make some plays. The other guy just has to show up at the right place and I feel they improved there being rid of Boston, with his hapless dives the wrong way at a ball carrier and his 25 yard single-highs. I kept waiting for him to matter, and he always mattered the wrong way.

It'd be great to have depth, but I'll take starting talent, too.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus View Post
    might not have five studs but I feel so much better than I did midyear last year. Coleman will make some plays. The other guy just has to show up at the right place and I feel they improved there being rid of Boston, with his hapless dives the wrong way at a ball carrier and his 25 yard single-highs. I kept waiting for him to matter, and he always mattered the wrong way.

It'd be great to have depth, but I'll take starting talent, too.
    I agree with all of this--especially the part about waiting for Boston to emerge. My son's friend at UNC, he is SUCH as nice guy---we really pulled for him. But when he whiffed on tackles....I actually counted yards after the whiff one game--

I am still insecure about Adams due to his age and I really want a true FS behind Coleman.
    Nolledge is Pouer.