Thread: Just a suggestion from a serious homey

Head Coach Material

Just a suggestion from a serious homey

Before the draft tonight, thought I'd show some old great running backs,...and why they were great. Final thought regarding tonight's draft prolly won't surprise. This is long.

This tandem dominated for 'bout three seasons, runnin' all over people. One was RB Lynn Cane,...

hahaha,...this guy was sooo talented but this pic says it all. Cane was running behind an awesome O-line and would often trip over his own feet w/o being touched and fall down after a 4 yd gain. I would say ask old timers if that's true,...but they're all dead so trust me. The other part of the tandem was the great William Andrews,...

Amazing athlete, a FB outta Auburn. Devastating blocker and punished would be tacklers to a degree defenders would shy away from his hits while carrying the ball. Freak and severe knee injury in practice ended his career. In 1980 Andrews rushed for 1308 yds,...Lynn Cane rushed for 914 yds. Tell me that wasn't a potent attack. Add Steve Bartkowski passed for 3544 yds and that's a nice offense waaaaay back when. Later in the 1980's this guy was just,...great. Gerald Riggs.

Gerald Riggs was one of the most under rated RBs in NFL history cause he played in the black hole which was the Falcons franchise for players and haha head crotches too. Riggs had all the tools,...good size, good speed, great vision and was a tough cookie difficult to bring down. He enjoyed superb blocking but the O-line was older, Riggs was traded to the Redskins where he lead them to a Super Bowl title. He's another Falcon that left Atlanta to star on another team. Next is the creator, sort of, the Dirty Bird dance,...

His handle back then was "fat fat." Big thick thighs, strong upper body with pretty good speed but pretty much a bruiser. He owns the franchise record for a season with 1,846 yds rushing(1998). By that time the Falcons O-line was old and lots of times fat fat would gain yards when it didn't look like they'd be there. Fat fat blew out both knees and that was it. Actually Dan Reeves built an O-line that was seasoned and it came together and peaked, especially as far as the run game went, back in 1998.

Since 1998 the Falcons ignored the O-line for an entire decade, then finally began drafting linemen in the upper rounds. All the talk of needing an edge pass rusher, a linebacker, a safety,...whoa boys, do ya'll remember how many D-players the Falcons drafted last season? Remember 3 rookies playing on the defense, on the field, at one time last year? There must be balance drafting year to year.

The old man at center is great but he needs help at right guard. Trade up and draft Lamp. But it might be like 2009 when the Falcons traded a 2nd round pick for a washed up guy. Last year's draft was a serious boon. Make this one too, surprise us.

Head Coach Material
    The Atlanta Falcons (31st pick) and Seattle Seahawks (26th pick) are discussing swapping first-round picks, Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst reports citing sources. Itís a trade many think will ultimately occur, in large part due to the relationship between Falcons head coach Dan Quinn and his former employer.The Falcons want to jump ahead of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys to ensure themselves of a top-rated pass rusher. The name being floated as their target is Charles Harris of Missouri. Once they move back, the Seahawks will then target an offensive lineman. The name given to me is tackle Garett Bolles of Utah. Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable was on the Utes campus this past Sunday meeting with the teamís top offensive line prospects.Pauline wass told the compensation for the swap is likely to end up being a fourth-round pick.

This makes zero sense. At 31 the Hawks won't get a starting caliber lineman, especially at tackle and even the novice Falcons fan knows that. IF the Hawks draft a tackle at 31 he'll be a starter but he'll be a project in his rookie season, fact.

And this continual regurgitation spewing from the media's mouths 'bout Quinn's relationship with Seattle is sickening. It's actually "fake news" in that it's not true, this so called relationship. Funny,...the Falcons GM is a former Patriots team official. And hmmm,...since he's been the Falcons GM for many years the Falcons/Patriots have never dealt with each other in any sort of trade for anything.

And then there's the question of whether the Falcons are targeting a pass rusher or not. No one is suggesting drafting a lineman or a tight end. I'll say this,...if the Falcons do draft defense in round 1 then we can expect some serious defensive play this year.hahah maybe since the media is saying the Falcons offense will struggle w/o Shanny won't be a problem if the defense thrives.

Lamp would be Bill Fralic 2.0,...Fralic was the finest right guard in Falcons history.

Head Coach Material
    my goodness,...this guy cussing on national tv,...I dunno. I love you granma,...

Quote Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post
    my goodness,...this guy cussing on national tv,...I dunno. I love you granma,...
    Maybe there were already curses exchanged in the Falcons War Room when The Fins took y'all Charles Harris off the board and the pick just wanted to fit in. You know Coach like rap, and plenty of cussing in that right? From the what goes around file Fins wanted that Derek Barnett that I mention yesterday but the same happens too. Now about that Lamp guy, I think he's still out there.

The trouble is this year's draft doesn't spotlight O'L men. I wonder if either Fins or Falcons will take him second round?

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    You know Coach like rap, and plenty of cussing in that right? I wonder if either Fins or Falcons will take him second round?
    Pretty sure the Falcons would have to trade up again to see Lamp in a Falcons uniform, at heavy cost.

Yes,...coach Quinn has been deemed "cool" by his players. Starting around the 1990's NFL football has evolved into a rap mentality,...Jerry Glanville promoted it for the players although he's a country music type.

And again I was wrong,...perhaps Quinn and the Hawks do have a connection of sorts. But it made no sense, just me mind ya. A former 3rd round choice had 3 sacks in a Super Bowl and this year the Falcons have no 3rd round pick after the trade. And after that tirade we saw last night?,...this BOY had best back up his f****** talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post
    Jerry Glanville promoted it for the players although he's a country music type.... [A]gain I was wrong,...perhaps Quinn and the Hawks do have a connection of sorts...
    So far everybody has been proven wrong and wrong again, that is except for the Deity. The thing is to be disproven less often than anyone else, and you got that thing going for sure. I thinks we the Fins and y'all Falcons had the same ideas about their draft selections: Both entities went for an edge rusher first then linebacker.

Eventually both Fins and Falcons selected a mid round O/L, with the latter making it a higher priority 4th round pick instead of the belated fifth pick from the Fins. Interior line was really a much higher priority for the Fins. Falcons pick is taller and lighter, though he's not as highly rated in the NFL points system. I thinks it will be interesting to watch these guys.

Now comparing the LB selections, I think both the Fins & Falcons picks are on the light side. I wish I were still at their weight. This position is a certainly higher priority for the Fins, and being a serial homey I sure hope McMillan pans out better than Riley. Since the latter is an SEC guy, he's better conditioned for the NFL heat though.
    Last edited by Gundermerikan; 04-30-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    So far everybody has been proven wrong and wrong again, that is except for the Deity. The thing is to be disproven less often than anyone else, and you got that thing going for sure. I thinks we the Fins and y'all Falcons had the same ideas about their draft selections: Both entities went for an edge rusher first then linebacker.
    Not to be arrogant but it wasn't wrong to wish the O-line isn't ignored anymore but being wrong 'bout the direction of the draft. But yeah, thanks, and too the Deity has been proven wrong sometimes.

I'll be checkin' on the fins more as Summer progresses. As said in the other post it's paramount the Falcons defense performs against two tough divisions.

And yeah,...it seems to be a trend, drafting lighter LBs and even DEs. Beasley is just 235. Takk, the Falcons 1st pick is a 240 lbs. DE. I dunno,...looks like the NFL is going towards speed over trying to physically overpower. And don't worry 'bout the Dolphins guy being from a small school. When I hear that I always think of Jerry Rice.