Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackenberg 2017

Hackenberg 2017

I keep seeing posters saying that Hackenberg will not be ready to start the 2017 season because he is a project. From what understand, Hack has to work on his footwork & mechanics but has the mental part of the game down along with a strong work ethic. Some people say Hack actually has a decent, compact throwing motion. Oh, he may be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder syndrome too, but I digress. So, what exactly makes him such a project that he won't be able to compete and start the 2017 season?

Assistant Coach
    Wow, playing for Penn State was that bad!

Celebrating in the 2nd Deck
    Terrible 2nd round pick if the guy's years from playing....this summer will tell whether the doubters or supporters were right.

The old adage is is took 5 years to fully develop a QB in the NFL. Look at guys like Terry Bradshaw, Fouts and even guys like Elway, Rodgers, Eli, Brees, Montana and Young as examples of great QBs that took multiple years before they hot their stride. Unfortiately in the new NFL wiht free agency and a salary cap, you pretty much have to make a decision on your QB by the end of year 3 so you can decide whether to give him the mega contract after his rookie deal expires. This has caused SO many prospects to be rushed into playing long before they are ready and has destroyed the careers of many potentially solid NFL QBs.

That said, I am not suggesting that Hack is going to be the next great QB. What I AM saying is that sitting him a year or two is not the end of the world. I ma not suggesting that Hack is oging to even be a successful NFL starter. What I am saying is that all reports are that the kid has the mental part of the game down pat and THAT is usually the reason QBs take so long to develop. Maybe he is emotionally shot, maybe hios mechanics are so F'd up that he'll never be able to recover, maybe his accuracy will never be any good, maybe he doesnt have it "in the chest" to ever be a great NFL QB. ALL these things may very well be true. But this kid was a potential #1 overall pick after his freshman season. This kid has a howitzer and is a known hard worker and good guy. They drafted this kid KNOWING that he was going to be a project. So my ONLY point here is that unless the Jets admit that what they saw in 2016 leads them to believe he will never make it (and unless they take a QB at 6, there is really no proof of that), then calling him a bust or a horrioble pick NOW is ridiculous. If he sits for the first half of 2017 and then starts the second half and plays relatively well is it still a lousy pick? If the lightbulb goes on for him and in 2018 he is starting and playing well...is it still a lousy pick because he didnt play as a rookie and in February of 2017 hes still a question mark???

Like I said, there is a REASON the old adage was 5 years for a QB and while that time frame has been shortened out of circumstances of the NFL now, Hack just finished year 1. Chad Pennington didnt see the field his first two seasons. Ken OBrien didnt play a down until week 10 of his second season. And no, this summer is NOT going to tell us anything. I think its fair to say we wont really know anything until the end of 2017 season and even then we may not know for sure. And should the Jets put all their eggs in the Hack Basket? No way! But can we all please just calm down about this kid and see how it all plays out before labeling the pick a blunder and calling him a bust merely because he didnt play at all in a season in which we were all TOLD befroe hand that he wasnt going to play???

Well said!!! I agree 100%. Calling hack a bust because he was red shirted, after the regime TOLD YOU they were going to red shirt him, is comical.

This is the now now now generation.

And you are so right that QB careers HAVE BEEN ruined due to forcing the issue.

Nobody knows this sh!t! Nobody. Not the guys who pick the QBs and not the guys who judge the QB picks 5 seconds after they are made, and certainly not us either.

RELAX!!!!!! He's a prospect, on the roster, with TONS of potential. Let it progress.

is it possible that perhaps our GM, our NEW GM, might be STRONG ENOUGH to say F@ck this hurry-hurry-hurry, now-now-now generation of QB ruiners, I'm going to choose to remember all those guys (like MSG pointed out) who developed on a nice steady timeline into STUDS. So I'm not going to rush this kid, I'm going to take it nice and slow and let that freshman stud gradually and steadily work his way back out, naturally, not forced.

Look, I didn't want Hack, but I know that nobody knows, so I'm FINE with the pick, and MSG mentioned this one point, and this has been my PRIMARY stance on Hack from day 1, and I've been saying it all along, this kid's freshman season HAPPENED, it did, we saw it, it was real. THAT KID is in there somewhere. There is no guarantee that kid can be drawn back out, but there is also no reason to guarantee that he can't be. THAT KID was a future, lock #1 overall FQB prospect. And it's IMPOSSIBLE to deny what happened at PSt, and it's also impossible to deny that that wouldn't have a negative impact on a QB. So.... it's a gamble. Does the stud come back out, or is he ruined. Coin flip. i get that. But show me the QB draft pick that isn't a coin flip. This is the sport we are choosing to be in, or follow. It is what it is. you draft for upside and THIS KID has it in spades.

We'll see.
    Last edited by JWilly; 02-24-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Team Owner
    Zero faith in Chubby Herm's ability to groom a qb, that being said if he's not even ready to compete for the starting job after sitting an entire year it's truly sad.

5 year grooming process? Those days are long gone, coaches and GM's don't get 5 years to turn around a program never mind spend that amount time putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Silver lining with Hackeneberg is he's still so young unlike Petty whose already 27 years old.

I want to see Hackenberg play all 16 games, if he's truly as awful as most think the jets get the #1 pick and the worst head coach in football and the gm get fired. If he's plays competent football you possibly have your guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pope View Post
    Zero faith in Chubby Herm's ability to groom a qb, that being said if he's not even ready to compete for the starting job after sitting an entire year it's truly sad.

5 year grooming process? Those days are long gone, coaches and GM's don't get 5 years to turn around a program never mind spend that amount time putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Silver lining with Hackeneberg is he's still so young unlike Petty whose already 27 years old.

I want to see Hackenberg play all 16 games, if he's truly as awful as most think the jets get the #1 pick and the worst head coach in football and the gm get fired. If he's plays competent football you possibly have your guy.
    Thats a totally separate issue though. Because even Sam Darnold is going to need to be developed. If Bowels is so bad at developing players then thats not really Hacks fault nor Macs fault.

And I agree wiht you. He needs to at least play in 2017 at some point. But I am not going to kill him if he doestn win the starting job in TC after sitting an entire year and getting limited reps. 2017 TC should be to give him as many reps as possible to take the next step in his progression whihc may not mean starting out of the gate. I personally do not reach for one of the "top" QBs in this draft. Maybe take a flier on one in a later round but go with Petty and Hack. Let Petty start the year and if he fails give Hack half a season to show what he has. Then at least we will either know Hack sucks, lose a lot and then be in a position to draft a true FQB prospect OR we will see enough in Hack to win a few games and feel good about him going forward.

But yes...Bowles could be a MAJOR impediment to that plan and I also have no doubt we will bring in some kind of vet who will likely start the year over Petty and Hack.
    Last edited by MSGold12; 02-24-2017 at 05:52 PM.

It ain't got zilch to do with Chubby Herm.

How come the great Jim Harboaugh couldn't groom Kapernick?

FQBs are born bro. Coaches don't make them. ESPECIALLY NOT after they get to this level. They get out there in an NFL pocket and their HEADS either STAY CALM, and SEE, and adapt and learn, and GROW INTO the job, and let their natural God given talent work as it does without pressure while actually under pressure, or they panic, shrink, get flustered, and FAIL.

i'm being ever so slightly tongue in cheek, having good offensive coaching OF COURSE is going to help a QB succeed, but Bowles ain't coaching the O anyway. Hack's HELP will come from his OC and his QB coach, not Bowles. Bowles will just stand there with his arms folded and his mouth shut until he gets fired and Hack will either succeed or fail REGARDLESS.

Team Owner
    Kapernick is the same story as Sanchez, an all world roster surrounded both of them when they had success, both of them turned into pumpkins when the rosters dissolved.

What I mean by grooming per Bowles is sticking a kid 3 fields over away from the team and media. What the f@ck kind of plan was that ? What kind of plan is we'll fix his mechanics when the season is over, WTF! I don't see Harbaugh, Gruden or Shanahan implementing that strategy sorry.

So yeah I agree FQB's are born but you need a HC with a slight clue.

Hey I basically agree, you and I both want Bowles gone in the worst way. I'm just saying Hack is gonna stand tall in that pocket or he's gonna shrink and there ain't much Bowles will be ABLE to do to affect that in EITHER direction.

But where you and I disagree is I LIKE the slow plan on Hack. Adn I like it BECAUSE OF what happened to him in college. The over coaching, the forced mechanics changes, combined with the OL falling apart. I LIKE the plan to let this kid sit back and have the pressure free time to REFIND himself, I want the college freshman to be in the Jets huddle, NOT the college Jr. Two different QBs. The further he is from PSt, when he actually does get in an NFL pocket I believe the better his chances are. if he played too soon, it would be ugly. Waiting increases the chances that the freshman stud returns.