Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: But here's another possibility for a ggtonti man crush!

  1. #1
    Jets Moderator ret2ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl.
    Posts
    35,952

    But here's another possibility for a ggtonti man crush!

    Report: Bears actively shopping Jay Cutler

    ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bears have "actively started seeking" a trade partner for Jay Cutler.

    The Bears will try their darnedest to get something for Cutler, though there's a good chance they'll end up cutting him. Cutler plateaued and arguably regressed after a promising beginning to his career in Denver, and hasn't played a full 16-game season since 2009. With that said, a quarterback-needy team like the Jets could be desperate enough to take the bait. The Bears are expected to target Jimmy Garoppolo, but they'll face plenty of competition.

    Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    "On to 2017"

  2. #2
    Cutler is a loser move that only loser franchises make, but he is a name for the fans and will keep things respectable.

    It would say a lot about what they think of Petty and Hack if they go after this guy coming off major shoulder surgery

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMan57 View Post
    Cutler is a loser move that only loser franchises make, but he is a name for the fans and will keep things respectable.

    It would say a lot about what they think of Petty and Hack if they go after this guy coming off major shoulder surgery
    Not that I want Cutler (I dont) but couldnt the same be said for Vinny? Sometimes taking the flier on the talented vet makes sense...just not for us. Cutler should go to Houston or KC where he will be surrounded by a supporting cast and MAYBE his emmense physical talent will finally show up as it did for Vinny in 1998 for us.

    But BL, we know what they think of Petty and Hack. Petty is a backup and Hack isnt ready. If its me I toss Petty into the fire for the start of the year and then insert Hack later if/when things go poorly. Then at least you'll 1) get an idea of what BOTH can do and 2) chances are you will suck enough to get the #1 overall and a shot at a real FQB prospect.

    But the Jets and the fooled wont stand for that. They'll sign some vet QB who can squeak out and extra few wins so the fans can be "entertained" wiht a 5-11 or 6-10 season...and we'll land up with 4th or 5th pick and miss out on both Darnold and Rosen BOTH of whom are better then any QB in this draft.

  4. #4
    Team Owner
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    20,160
    Cutler and Marshall back together, what could possibly go wrong?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    Not that I want Cutler (I dont) but couldnt the same be said for Vinny? Sometimes taking the flier on the talented vet makes sense...just not for us. Cutler should go to Houston or KC where he will be surrounded by a supporting cast and MAYBE his emmense physical talent will finally show up as it did for Vinny in 1998 for us.

    But BL, we know what they think of Petty and Hack. Petty is a backup and Hack isnt ready. If its me I toss Petty into the fire for the start of the year and then insert Hack later if/when things go poorly. Then at least you'll 1) get an idea of what BOTH can do and 2) chances are you will suck enough to get the #1 overall and a shot at a real FQB prospect.

    But the Jets and the fooled wont stand for that. They'll sign some vet QB who can squeak out and extra few wins so the fans can be "entertained" wiht a 5-11 or 6-10 season...and we'll land up with 4th or 5th pick and miss out on both Darnold and Rosen BOTH of whom are better then any QB in this draft.
    Cutler is Jeff George part 2. Brings a terrible attitude into the locker room. Vinny wanted to win and had already played for Belichick in Cleveland so they knew him.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by pope View Post
    Cutler and Marshall back together, what could possibly go wrong?
    Cigarette sales will spike in New Jersey, thats for sure.

  7. #7
    Only difference with Vinny though is he was really brought in as a backup. It was more in line with the 2015 Fitz scenario than a potential 2017 Cutler signing. If you went and signed Cutler you are bringing him to start. And that would be a mistake IMO.

    There are ZERO options for us to sign a legit starter, aside from if you either love Taylor enough to pay him and COMMIT multiple years to him like he is definitely your FQB, or if you are just simply ABLE to work out a team friendly enough deal with him to come in and TEST him for 2017 as your starter without being horribly locked in if he give you JAG caliber play. And I don't believe that deal is possible with Taylor, so again IMO, there are NO OPTIONS on the table for a starting QB.

    Kids and the draft, period, end of story. Find our guy or take our lumps and keep searching.

  8. #8
    Jets Moderator ret2ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl.
    Posts
    35,952
    I want nothing to do with Cutler for the reasons that JWilly & others have stated, and fully expect Marshall to be cut so that's where I am on those 2.

    I am also of the thinking that there is no way in hell that the Jets can field a playoff caliber team in 2017.

    The QB question is obviously the big one & I am wondering what road Mac/Todd will go down on this one. Will they sign a vet backup type? Will they draft another QB this year? How many QB's will they keep on the 2017 roster?

    One thing I don't want to do is keep 4 QB's again so that is driving some of my thinking. If we sign a stopgap backup type & draft one then who gets cut, Petty would seem to be the logical choice? And cutting Petty would mean losing a guy with at least some upside, even if it's just as a career backup. I've wrestled with this as have some of you, and right now I'm leaning towards going with Petty, Hack, and a draft choice & starting whichever one is most ready on opening day; probably Petty. Bottom line though, it's clear as mud to me.
    "On to 2017"

  9. #9
    yeah, there's no way we are going to carry 4 QBs again. That was a one year anaomoly, made necessary by way too many people being FOOLED by a lousy QB facing scrub competition AND getting tons of luck, to equate to 10 wins. if we had had a normal schedule and only won 8 instead of 10 Fitz would have been gone and we would have carried 3 QBs.

    I agree the Jets cannot be a playoff team in 2017 but my reasoning is much different. Prior to 2016 I DID feel we had a potential playoff caliber team, but knew we were going top have HOT GARBAGE at QB. The thing I didn't account for was that the quality of our coaching was going to plummet to horrific caliber.

    So I AGREE with you that there is NO CHANCE we will make the playoffs in 2017 which then makes spending on a probably NOT FQB just stupid and pointless and furthering the FOOLED approach, but the reason is because I have lost ALL faith in Bowles. In actuality, I DO BELIEVE that if we brought back this same O, and obviously making the assumption that we make a couple upgrades (like CB) that with good QB play AND good HC-ing, this COULD BE a playoff team, but.... two big issues, duh. That QB who is going to step right in and play "good" is not on the table unless you want to pay Taylor FQB money and commit 3 years to him. And just as importantly, the HC is DOG SH!T and WILL BE FIRED. Even if Taylor comes and does play FQB caliber, Bowles is still the anchor that kills it.

    So considering Taylor is NOT a lock to be FQB, but IS a lock that you have to pay him like one PLUS commit multiple years to him, and regardless, thanks to terrible HCing you cannot contend, its is a STUPID short sighted plan. Only makes sense for the FOOLED who think Taylor makes this team a contender, and that's WITH Bowles coaching it remember.

    Nope. Bowles sucks and will be fired, and why commit to Taylor when there will be MORE OPTIONS to "commit to" at QB next year, one of which just might be a legit shot at a legit STUD FQB prospect for really, the FIRST TIME since the 86 draft.

    Petty, Hack and either a draft pick, or if we do sign a guy, it's an insurance play and not a "starter". A $3m vet, not a $20m vet.
    Last edited by JWilly; 02-22-2017 at 06:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pope View Post
    Cutler and Marshall back together, what could possibly go wrong?
    And Forte too!!!



    We'd have the Chicago Bears offense from 2012?

    IN 2017!!!

    And that O wasn't anything to write home about in 2012.

    What a unbelievably stupid move that'd be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO