Thread: C'mon kitty kitty kitty

Head Coach Material

C'mon kitty kitty kitty

To unnerstand the Panthers is to unnerstand they are built around an old fashion model. They run the ball well, 3rd in the league after 3 games and play great defense. The Panthers QB is no less than Billy Kilmer(who owned most rushing records for a QB until Michael Vick broke all of them), solid O-line and very special, special teams play. The Panthers have a kicker who can boot a football 90 yards off a tee as he did in Denver.

Billy Kilmer,...hahaha people ask who? Same thing. Kilmer would harass a defense with the *threat* he'd run the ball. Then when the safeties come up he'd hit a TE or receiver with a long gain,...sound familiar Panthers fans? It's the threat that cam newton can run the ball which makes the Panthers offense work with that stupid college play, the read and zone crap or whatever they call it. I call it how scrool football mentality.

Dan Reeves,...old school, drafted Vick and the Falcons led the league in rushing for years! A running QB and the threat of him running opens up a whole lots of things but basically it's conservative in nature.

Defensively the Panthers are stout. They have one 'lil thing though,...their secondary can be had. So they'll depend on the front 7 to pick up the slack. There's a huge difference in defending Drew Brees and defending cam newton. As quick and fast are the young Falcon defenders, it'll be interesting come Sunday. Total offense Falcons #1 in league,...total defense Panthers #3.

Sumthin's gonna give.

By the time the Skins were ready for the Super Bowl Kilmer was just trotting. He still had a good play action quick pass, though wobbly, that had been deadly. I once saw him get out of a 3rd and 18 on their 2 yards line, him faking handing off in the opponents E.Z., then flipping an out to T.E. Jerry Smith on the sideline for a first down on the 35.

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    By the time the Skins were ready for the Super Bowl Kilmer was just trotting. He still had a good play action quick pass, though wobbly, that had been deadly. I once saw him get out of a 3rd and 18 on their 2 yards line, him faking handing off in the opponents E.Z., then flipping an out to T.E. Jerry Smith on the sideline for a first down on the 35.
    I was a kid around the time he became a complete pocket passer, due to his age I imagine. YES! I recall those wobbly passes too! And yeah, although ugly it found the receiver in his hands. But when Vick was approaching NFL QB rushing records around 2005 I noticed several of the records were owned by,...Kilmer? I almost laughed cause I had no idea. We know about Douglass the Bear, hell Roger the Dodger? Before then the Ram Roman Gabriel? Ever wonder why Gabriel's nose looked like it's been broken several times? But Billy Kilmer? And I do recall Bob Griese running the ball a lot when he was young.

Here's the deal with the Panthers,...and btw lately Panthers fans hate my guts. The Panthers, Ron Rivera, Gettleman, Harold Richardson are *married* to Cam Newton. I pity the Panthers' franchise. You're a historian,...Donovan McNabb,...Daunte Culpepper,...just recalling what has happened. What will come to be.

Wonder how Kilmer didn't get broken nose with the single-bar facemask he wore. No fan of Kilmer. Back then CBS used to nearly always air Redskins games in South Florida in the early 70s, and I would pray Allen would let Jurgensen start the second half. Like they were once down 24-3 their vaunted run game wasn't clicking and Sonny would start the second half because he was a better passer. They end up winning 31-27, not least because S/J was terrific at a 2 min. drill.

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    Wonder how Kilmer didn't get broken nose with the single-bar facemask he wore. No fan of Kilmer. Back then CBS used to nearly always air Redskins games in South Florida in the early 70s, and I would pray Allen would let Jurgensen start the second half. Like they were once down 24-3 their vaunted run game wasn't clicking and Sonny would start the second half because he was a better passer. They end up winning 31-27, not least because S/J was terrific at a 2 min. drill.
    hahaha we're dating ourselves as old men knowing all this history, actually living it. Sonny J,...what a remarkable throwing QB. His long throwing motion might not work in today's game unless he had a great blocking line.

Back then in Florida all we were allowed to watch certain teams, of course the Dolphins but mainly East coast types. Rarely the Eagles we saw, NEVER the Falcons, a token West coast game(Raiders) hahaha but a bunch of Cowboys, Redskins and Steelers games, of course. Years ago the NFL was as bad as today 'bout marketing some franchises heavier than others. Check out heavy marketing. GE is learning it doesn't help the collective and it's all about bias and greed. ahem, anyway, yeah and think of this,...if you're wearing a helmet with just one face mask bar, you're gonna have to know your limitations.

Coach Allen was granted a lot of control over that team, and he brought in trusted veterans who played very well that year. Shula did the same thing, so overall I think these teams and coaches were among the best ever. Between the Fins and Skins though, you really have to agree Washington blew the Super Bowl game in not putting Sonny out to start the second half after they were trailing behind. That was their pattern and it used to work every time that year.

For now though, you have to give Matty Ice the credit for winning the Cats game.

Head Coach Material
    I had forgotten Jergenson did win games that year in the 2nd half, yes, nice recall.

Matt Ryan was just,...awesome dude. He best be ready next Sunday in Denver. And it was like, last off season idiots in the media were saying the guy ain't an elite QB? pfffft hahahha

Complete and obvious bias imo. People don't like the Falcons regardless cause all these media types are the biggest homies. A win in Denver would make things,...interesting in that regard.