Thread: Wanna talk football? Instant replay

Head Coach Material

Wanna talk football? Instant replay

The owners and NFL officials met in Nawth Caroliner,...adjusted the IR a tad. This will take more than one post. Geeshus there's 5 articles. Reminds me of a deposition I had to endure once. Well here it goes boys, your new officiating for 2016 regarding instant replay.

A team may challenge any reviewable play identified in Article 5 below GAWD this already looks like a damp courtroom full of suits!, except when the on- field ruling is:

(a) A score for either team,
    well yeah an interception, well yeah (c) a fumble or backward pass that is recovered by an opponent or goes out of bounds through an opponent’s end zone, uh huh and a few other things like yeah okay. There were six more things that really are instant replay rules which currently exist. Hey ya'll?,...there's still four more "Articles" to this new, ummm,...this revising of the IR rules. And some of it has me goin',...wut the hmmmm,...

Before I jump out there, I best get some mo and better info rather than trust one source about these changes. I will say this,...the 1 source I checked is pretty reliable and there's some language in these new rules which are puzzling, like,...they're allowing the game officials to ummm, maybe dictate IR decisions.

So here we go!

How else can they influence a game, too obvious!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Jett View Post
    How else can they influence a game, too obvious!
    Oh you're gonna love this one,...Article 2,..."designated member(s) of the Officiating Department"

Article 2. REPLAY OFFICIAL’S REQUEST FOR REVIEW

There is no limit to the number of Replay Reviews that may be initiated by the Replay Official. His ability to initiate a review will be unrelated to the number of timeouts that either team has remaining, and no timeout will be charged for any review initiated by the Replay Official. The Replay Official must initiate a review before the ball is next legally put in play.

The Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating Department at the League office may consult with the on-field officials to provide information on the correct application of playing rules, including appropriate assessment of penalty yardage, proper down, and status of the game clock.

Ahhhh,...alllrighty then,...anyone who watches NFL games has seen the ball snapped and THEN the official runs in waving his arms stopping the play. Note the wording,..."before the ball is put in play." Apparently a ball is not legally put in play at the snap. I assume this wording is to give the replay officials another few seconds to decide what to do and to reinforce a rule that's been in practice for years.

Sooo,...there's a replay official and members of the officiating department as well and they can "consult" LOL! CONSULT? pfffft! that's funny rat thar. There ain't no consulting,...it's more like they telling the zebras what to do. And that reference, the Officiating Department at the League office, well we all know that's in New York City. Technology allows geeks sitting in that huge building in NY to watch every game and their feed is in real time. What we little fans get is delayed a few seconds. Those members, those designated NFL members at the league office have more influence over replay than the officials on the field. There has been numerous cases of flags being picked up, not reviewable but still clearly was a little buzz in the ear of the head ref, saying,...pick that flag up and keep the game going.

Head Coach Material
    <<drumroll>> Article twee!

Article 3. REVIEWS BY REFEREE

All Replay Reviews will be conducted by the Referee on a field-level monitor after consultation with the covering official(s). During the review, the Referee will consult with designated members of the Officiating department at the League office. A decision will be reversed only when the Referee has clear and obvious visual evidence available to him that warrants the change.

All reviewable aspects of the play may be examined and are subject to reversal, even if not identified in a coach’s challenge or if not the specific reason for a Replay Official’s request for review.

OHHHHH,...okay,...why even have a replay official at the game when the boys in New York run the show? And that little thingie right there,...that "having to give no specific reason to request review" stuff?,...again like in article 2 it's just reinforcing something they've been doing for years. Also a reversal under this article can be enforced with absolutely no explanation from the league office. Every damp inch of the playing field is covered by camera. But sometimes it's funny,...sometimes there's no clear shot of the replay of such as feet in bounds and that's ridiculous and insulting.

Head Coach Material
    Article 4. NON-REVIEWABLE PLAYS,...12 rules changes or verification or reinforcement ya'll tell me. I'll address some of those 12 tweaks.

The following play situations are not reviewable:

Fouls.
    As pointed out in Article 3 we've all seen flags picked up so this is bs.

Whether a runner’s forward progress was stopped before he lost possession of the ball. GRAY AREA,...and sometimes a coach's challenge has changed the spot and possession of the ball?

Field Goal or Try attempts that cross above either upright without touching anything. hmmmm,...seems there's been things like FG trys which are razor close to being good or a miss. So just put this one on the zebras on the field.

Erroneous whistle. This one really pisses me off. There's been times when the whistle blew erroneously which by rule ends each and every play, period, but the head zebra has on occasion has ruled, all by himself, the play was DEAD,...and alive when a turnover occurs. Hey idiots?,...we can hear the whistle blow. So just call it anyway you wish eh?

Article 5 is just same ole same ole stuff.
    Last edited by Penumbra; 05-26-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Head Coach Material
    Article 5. REVIEWABLE PLAYS

The Replay System will cover the following play situations: yada,...but there's new,...so called rules,...there are 11 reviewable items listed but there's a couple to ponder.

Plays governed by the line to gain. I've played football since I was 7 years old and THE LINE TO GAIN makes zero sense to me. Can anyone splain that to me please?

Game administration: Note the colon,...leaving this new IR rule open to interpretation. What in the Hell could game administration be reviewable during the heat of battle? Maybe the home team being idiots like they did in Charlotte 10 games last season???

Penalty enforcement. ohhhh myyyy,...so replay officials in New York can change rules as the game goes by,...

In the second half, time shall be restored only if it is a one-score game (eight points or less), and the additional play will be a snap from scrimmage by the team that is behind in the score, or by either team if the score is tied. mmm, mmm, mmmm. This the Fabian method. Just like some X-NFL player wants How Scrool football to ban tackling, ban tackling mind ya. This tweak of the rules is Fabius to a tee. To gradually change the game, ya know, to make it better,...pfffft.

Hey boys,...when the well runs dry, there'll be some serious thirst and those little bastads in New Yoke knows we're ready for some cool, clear football water come hot ass August.

Guess if the rules favor my team, I'm all for it. May as well be like everyone else in the NFL tribe.

So your saying you too will become an nfl sheep. you have to buy 5 jersey's and 5 hat's of at least 5 teams to cover you being the big time owner, GM, coach in fantasy football and that makes you an important person

I only watched 5 games last year, and the more these animals people call football players continue their antics, when my grandkids come over I explain to them the lack of regard for integrity with 95% of every nfl player, and then we turn off the TV and play. I think it is child abuse to allow your children to watch these players with a blatant attempt at hurting people on just about every play.

Since my answer would start a riot, let me just say there has been a change in the mentality of todays players AND coaches, and for the thumb suckers and baby boobies, uh boomers, you will soon find out is how they don't really care for you and your likes and dislikes. It will take another 10 years for you to realize it, but you will see, they don't care about the fans or the military...................unless you write Goodell a 7 figure check!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.