Thread: LEO and Elephant

Head Coach Material

LEO and Elephant

As they say around here,...there it is!"

It's been years,...was reminded by an old friend and I forgot this term a long time ago,...it's called the LEO. Not quite a defensive end and not quite a linebacker ya see. Leo contains the L of linebacker and the E of end. The position has also been called Elephant with the E and L in reverse order.

This tweener, between LB and DE has been around for a long time. There have been many LEOs, many Elephants all through NFL history. In fact some HOF safeties could've been known as,...SLBs or something.

The reason for this post is, it appears some teams are going to a heavy D-line with quick LBs(Panthers, Dolphins) and others are going to a lighter, faster front 7(Falcons). There is no doubt the Panthers, Ravens and Broncos have the best D-lines,...no doubt. But you can attack an offense in more ways than simply outmuscling them.

Just a reminder to anyone who cares,...and you Bucs, Saints, Panthers fans best listen. The Falcons defense may not be the most physical bunch, and yeah it's early and all that but what Dan Quinn did was sign free agents,...solid, hard hitting guys, disruptive types. Then drafted fast as heck rookies at safety and 2 LBs so there ya go. It'll be high risk/high reward type stuff.

Dan Quinn now has the tools to attack in many, many ways with this current roster, as early as it is easy to say now? So now the pressure is on him to get it done.

Excellent point, now we will see if he is as good a coach! I agree we may have up to 4 rookies on the D side and maybe one on the O-line starting this year which means we will see how quickly they can adjust to his style. Last year he had to play a hand that was dealt to him.

What I worry about is Shanahan, he is way too predictable so we better improve greatly from last year, I have no confidence in him or his style of the west coast O. The TE they drafted has blocking skills and is fast, which will be needed down field IF Ryan has time to throw.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    No worries about Ryan having time to throw. He's been playing behind some of the very wurst O-lines in NFL hisnory and still passes for over 4,000 yards a seasom. Pardon moi screet dialect. But this ain't about the offense.

There's lots of speculation Beasley plays at LB,...I don't think so. Not after drafting two LBs and then signing Spoon. BUT!,...as we've seen, and as all defenses must do,...sometimes Quinn went to a 3-4. Even what's his name,...Phillips goes back and forth with the 3-4 and 4-3.

This should be fun Jett,...remember when the defense was the total focus of the team? That stuff was fun to watch,...Glanville. Glanville's weakness was his offense,...the red gun,...the run and shoot,...the chuck and duck, even when he was the HC of the Oilers. Quinn has sold out to the WCO so get used to it. That's good ole boy's offense in Seattle. so even if Shanny JR gets canned it'll still be the WCO.

But yeah man, Quinn has the athletes NOW.

This year hinges on Dimi trough, he has not been the guru Blank thought and has not helped the team in the draft or FA..............as of now, so he better hope Quinn can win with the young guys!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post
    No worries about Ryan having time to throw. He's been playing behind some of the very wurst O-lines in NFL hisnory and still passes for over 4,000 yards a seasom. Pardon moi screet dialect. But this ain't about the offense.

There's lots of speculation Beasley plays at LB,...I don't think so. Not after drafting two LBs and then signing Spoon. BUT!,...as we've seen, and as all defenses must do,...sometimes Quinn went to a 3-4. Even what's his name,...Phillips goes back and forth with the 3-4 and 4-3.

This should be fun Jett,...remember when the defense was the total focus of the team? That stuff was fun to watch,...Glanville. Glanville's weakness was his offense,...the red gun,...the run and shoot,...the chuck nd duck, even when he was the HC of the Oilers. Quinn has sold out to the WCO so get used to it. So even if Shanny JR gets canned it'll still be the WCO.

But yeah man, Quinn has the athletes NOW.
    A friend googled something and this thread came up, he sent it to me,...wow page 18 I think? Fascinating timing eh? Just over a year ago this thread was created by moi, ty'all very much ahem. Well,...the fools ate they words when the Falcons O became the #1 last season but had they last thrust when play calling late in the SB were a factor. Shanny is gone, next is the new guy,...ready to jump on him you ****ing expert?

I make a post 'bout the Falcons defense and it's ignored, a serious breach of message board etiquette and trollish to be truthful. To change the subject of a thread from defense to offense is childish and selfish. And trollish. We don't need peeps like you mane.

Note that it was simple math knowing even if Shanny left the Falcons would retain the WCO scheme. idiot no one listens,..."Dan Quinn now has the tools to attack in many, many ways with this current roster." What did I say?hahaha mane sometimes I just wanna throw me hands up and say,...well ya know

Happy Memo Day Wend from

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    hahaha anyone lissnin' to wannsdetd?,...and it stlll amazes me people in the media(AND BEARS FANS), still misspell his name to my delight of course. idiots they be two,...2 D's in his last name, hell same thang with he first name boy, David, TWO D's, okay? Now let's move on to, what is 6x7?

I just chastised a fellow Falcons fan for disrupting a thread by changing the subject from defense to offense. Maybe I'm set in my ways but manners do matter. May I be blunt? Wannsdetd was and still is an idiot. He was a weak ass head coach with zero leadership ability but he had the hair a goin' and the prominent proboscis a goin' and he was firey and emotional and all that shit. I remember him as Da Bears HC well. An empty set of head phones. He made no decisions,...pffft Wanny and <sigh> I must respond.

Dan Quinn left the Seahawks two years ago. When he was there he had lots of influence in drafting and signing FAs BUT he never had the final say. Like the Falcons, the Hawks have enjoyed great play at the QB position under contract so it's easier to build a defense when ya ain't gotta spend picks and money on a QB. duh Okay, lemme make this quick,...if ya wanna see two defenses nearly identical look at the Broncos and Falcons Ds. The LEO is a huge part of this attack UNLIKE that which the Seahawks employ. Seattle utilizes the safety as a LEO in fact when Quinn's scheme uses a DE/LB as the LEO.

Looks like I'm gonna get sick of hearing these idiots say the most incredibly,...I dunno how to say it. They seem to be making shit up or something I dunno. Makes ya suspicious like, do they really know the facts or,...are they biased?

Additional,...Gundy you used an old word and knowing you, well, was it a message? Wend and Sorb are peeps in East Germany and West Poland. Thus,...Serbs as well. I wonder if you already knew that,...
    Last edited by Penumbra; 05-26-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Additional

Ha I still remember the place where I was standing when I found the news that Wannstedt was going to coach the Fins. It was like a sense of dread and disbelief. I thought oh no