• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: WR Moritz Boehringer

Celebrating in the 1st Deck

WR Moritz Boehringer

What do you guys think of German WR Moritz Boehringer? The Vikings have shown interest and scheduled a visit with him after seeing his "Pro day" workout. His workout numbers are fantastic especially for someone of his size, 6'4" 227lbs. He ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash on grass, had a vertical of 39 inches, a 10-foot-11 broad jump, a 4.10-second short shuttle, 11.15-second 60-yard shuttle, a 6.65-second three-cone drill and he caught everything thrown at him. It is hard to gauge where he is at as a football player though because the level of compatition he faced in the German football league is very weak. They would have a hard time competeing at the small school college level. If the Vikings do want him it looks like they might have to use there 3rd round pick if he even falls that far now. If the Vikings like him enough after their visit with him to use there 3rd rounder on him I'd be ok with that. What do you all think?
    Last edited by Carter80; 04-03-2016 at 05:41 PM.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

He has "potential" but is extremely raw. I wouldn't spend a 3rd on Boehringer for a couple reasons.

1. If we take a WR in the 1st then we have other more important needs than a raw WR in the 3rd.

2. If we don't take a WR in the 1st or 2nd then I would want to use our 3rd on a less risky WR. Although Boehringer has a higher ceiling than most if not all of the WR's that will be available in the 3rd, he has by far the biggest bust risk. Our need for a WR to step in and produce is to big to risk on Boehringer in the 3rd. I would rather play it safer and draft a player who may not become a star but will give us solid production. Boyd, Lawler, Higgins, etc.

I would use a 7th or possible a 6th on Boehringer if he's still available. I'd also consider Tajae Sharp or Braverman if they are available.

Just my 2 cents but I think there's too much risk to draft Boehringer in the 3rd.

I agree that if we take a WR in the 1st or 2nd round then using a 3rd on him is definitely not an option, but I would take him late in the draft if he was still available. I think he will probably go somewhere in the 3rd or 4th rounds though. I tend to like the risk/reward type players. Aim for the high ceiling. One of the things I read about his pro day work out was that he responded well to tips and instructions and the scouts and couches there seem to think he was very couchable. So if we haven't already drafted a WR I'm good with taking Boehringer starting as early as our 3rd. If we can get him later than that great.

If we had a more established WR group I'd be all in favor of taking the risk. My concern is that we draft Boehringer in the third and he doesn't work out we're in the same boat next year. I guess if we took Boehringer in the 3rd and maybe someone like Sharp or Braverman later than would mitigate the risk some.

Bottom line, I trust the Viking brain trust to draft the right players in the right round. I think they have for the most part proven themselves in recent years. If they feel Boehringer is worth a 3rd then I trust them that he's worth a 3rd.

I think he's a 6th round pick at best. There's a lot of good WRs in this draft and this guy hasn't played against very good competition. But he does have all the tools: size, speed, strength. He's a couple of seasons away probably, so worth a gamble. But we definitely have to have a ready to go WR this season. I would be absolutely shocked if we don't draft one in the first two rounds, then another one before the draft is done.

Season Tickets, First Deck
    I would agree with not drafting Boehringer until very late in the draft. I would probably wait until the 7th round. The Vikings drafted Stephon Diggs in the 5th round last year and Boehringer by all accounts is no where close to being as polished as Diggs.

Guys like
    Boehringer are such a crap shoot. Yeah he's great athlete but will he ever develop ala Cordarrelle Patterson?

When Joe Webb was drafted he was drafted as a WR. He had great numbers and they are comparable to Boehringer's numbers. Webb's numbers were: 6'3" 223lbs; 4.43 40 yd; 4.04 20 yd ss; 42.5 in vertical; 11ft 5in broad jump; 21 reps. Boehringer's numbers: 6'4" 227lbs; 4.45 40 yd; 4.10 20 yd ss; 39 in vertical; 10ft 11in broad jump; 23 reps.

Webb never made it as a WR and chances are
    Boehringer won't either, but he would be worth taking late in the draft because you never know.

If the Vikings go WR in the first then the wait and see approach with Boehringer is the right way to go. Say we take Doctson in the first then I would look to get Boehriner in the sixth if he is still available. I still think he won't make it out of the fourth though.

Yes he is a raw athletic WR like Patterson, but from what I have read about him the difference between them is Boehringer seems coachable with a good head on his shoulders. Patterson has always relied on his athleticism alone.

The comparison to Joe Webb isn't really fair either. Yes, their work out number are similar. Webb was drafted to be a WR, but the coaches we impressed by his arm I'm practice and decided to keep him at QB instead. Webb never really had a chance to develop as a WR. If they had followed through with keeping him at WR he might have become a good one.

So where I stand on the topic is if we take another WR early then wait and see if he does fall to the later rounds. If we don't take a WR early I'd be inclined to take a flier n him. Maybe the 3rd is to early, but I'd look a him with our 4th though and hedge our bet with another WR in the 6th or 7th rounds with less flash and more polish.