Thread: Roddy's shoddy numbers

Head Coach Material

Roddy's shoddy numbers

Sometimes it's embarrassing being a Falcons fan. Dealing with many disappointing seasons is bad enough but then there's my fellow Falcons fans. I peruse the larger Falcons fans message boards for inside info cause some members of those boards are close to Falcons officials and some are friends with Falcons players. I'm friends with Falcons players, personnel too but they're all in wheel chairs, ahem.

Anyway,...all last season uninformed Falcons fan were, as usual every football year, bitching, moaning and groaning about the O-coordinator in this case Kyle Shanahan and Falcons great WR Roddy White's numbers. They blame Shanny JR for White's lack of statistical numbers and don't know the game apparently.

Snap counts count,...last season Roddy played more snaps on offense than any other WR other than Julio. Yes it's true Roddy wasn't targeted often, you know when the QB throws the ball to a guy, as much as Julio and even when the former Skin Hankerson was in the game.

Factors for Roddy's shoddy numbers,...O-line blocking,...lack of a blocking TE requiring Roddy to be a blocker on run plays, not a so much a "decoy" as they say,...the proverbial lost step,...and yes, Shanahan used Roddy as a decoy to get Julio open at times,...Julio Jones himself is a factor, I mean, who wouldn't feature this incredible athlete over an aging guy? And of course the change to a different O-philosophy.

What was incredible is last season when the Crows were 5-0,...some fans were complaining about Shanny JR's play calls. Right then I knew when the Falcons lost some games the criticism would intensify,...and it did. Shanny wasn't IGNORING Roddy at all.

I hope the geniuses in the Falcons front office decide to retain Roddy for one more season. He's never tore a knee ligament and could literally be an option as a pass catching TE in the Shanahan WCO. He's definitely a better run blocker than any of the Falcons TEs. The main reason he had so many snaps was he was expected to block,...a reason the young RB Freeman rushed for over 1000 yards. Just trying to edumacate the Trump rednecks out there.

At least they drafted Shoddy Roddy and kept him in Falcons numbers all this time. His career total of 63 TD's isn't so shoddy are they? It would be a Bennie for the Fins if they kept one of the receivers they drafted over the long haul, but the only one time I can think of them doing that was with Super Duper who ran with the Fins for 10 years. In same amount of time he produced 59 career TD's for the Fins, a bit less than White has got so far.

Sure they kept some like Howard Twilley or Jim Jensen, but they weren't Top-Flyte receivers.

Head Coach Material
    As Mister Spock would say,...fascinating. I like people who make me think, you are about to be one of them.

I wonder,...the Phins had that fabled defense and since Marino and Super there hasn't been any big time offensive players other than a couple running backs. Now the Phins are signing aging defensive players and might be ignoring the offense as far as the WRs and maybe QB BUT,...reminding myself here,...look at the division the Phins play in. Good gawd,...if the Falcons were in the AFC East, well, what am I saying, even in the NFC South that team can't win so imagine the Crows in the AFC East? People don't realize how difficult the Phins schedule can be.

Gunder ya'll do need a Julio or AJ,...someone who will take over. And think of this,...the pats are about done for some years no doubt mark this post. Watch the Bills and the poor jetslol. I'll wait to predict stuff for now.

Well the Fins you know but for the benefit of other viewers to the blog, Falcons and Dolphins are sort of sister teams. They were each founded in 1966 and each team acquired new ownership in 2002. The Fins were an original A.F.L. team, i.e. represented by players from small or black colleges who were overlooked by the N.F.L. In the subsequent merger formally done in June '66 the Falcons appeared on the N.F.C. side but not sure how they came to be. Obviously it takes a lot longer for the plans to be set for opening a football franchise than it takes for all the owners to agree to a merger so the I.M.O. Falcons were a bona-fide N.F.L. team first and then came a merger. The Falcons weren't created just to balance the league or anything like that.

At any rate, the Falcons have a better organization now because Blank (who you know is Home Depot's founder) is a better businessman the Ross. Also, they have a participatory ownership model, e.g. Warrick Dunn is a part-owner of the Falcons. The Fins had a tight-fisted original owner in Joe Robbie and neither team came off to a running start, like say the Panthers have. Fins won only three games in '66, four in '67 and five in '68, but dropped back to three wins in '69 -- and revolution was in the air. Shula seized the moment and never turned back. Coaching made all the difference since Bouniconti, Csonka, Kiick, and Morris were all players with the Fins before he showed up. Warfield was added in a trade of some kind, even Griese was already there.

Both the defense and offense got better organized through fine-tuning trades and better, participatory coaching. Griese was really in charge, so was Marino. Marino even called plays in practice as a rookie. The way Shula ran things you had to be heads up and smart: a lot of personal accountability. Shula organized his players to gain their best possible contribution to the team based on their innate talents but thereafter it was all up to the player.

I don't really know much about Ross (could he be the owner of Ross "dress for less" Stores?) but the Fins have been cleanly outperformed by the Falcons since the ownership changeovers. The Fins started out in the lessor of 2 conferences (Jets are the only A.F.C. team to win a Super Bowl that I can think of) so with a coaching advantage like Shula they could clean the other team's clocks. I didn't think they could play on the right level to win Super Bowls against N.F.C. teams, though, until they beat the Skins in '72.

Meanwhile the Falcons were just plugging along at 7-7 that year and gaining incremental improvements up to 9-5 in '73. When they collapse to 3-11 in '74 they got rid of Van-Brocklin, a former Top-Flyte QB who went on and stank up the Vikes. So I don't want to beat a dead horse or anything, but the Falcons only went to the playoffs 6 times in the 1966-2001 span of 35 years.

Then it all changes very nicely in their, i.e. your favor: 6 times to the playoff in only 14 years is about half the time, while the Fins have only gotten one to damn W/C game, largely as a result of Wild-Cat offense's innovation.

Part of the problem in the new ownership models is the Fins don't seem to really value their players. They love them and leave them, unlike like the Falcons who play for keeps with Roddy White or Warrick Dunn.